Country Habitat For Humanity



What is Habitat for Humanity?

Habitat for Humanity is an ecumenical, Christian housing ministry that seeks to eliminate poverty housing from the world and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. It is an international organization, but there is a local affiliate founded here in the Copper Country in 1994.

How did Habitat come to the Copper Country?

Habitat is a grass-roots organization. "Grass-roots" means that the initiative to develop an affiliate came from people in the community and wasn't imposed on the area. The greater the interest in our community in keeping Habitat going, the greater the success of our affiliate.

How does Copper Country Habitat for Humanity select new homeowners?

A Homeowner Selection committee, made up of local volunteers, uses three criteria to select people to be Habitat homeowners:
• need for adequate shelter
• ability to pay the mortgage
• willingness to partner with Habitat
We select families in a manner that complies with all federal laws prohibiting discrimination. Once selected, families work in “partnership" with Habitat.

To download an application, click here. To request more information or that an application be mailed to you, click here.

How do families pay for their homes?

Habitat for Humanity assists families by providing a hand up - not a handout. A selected family purchases its Habitat house at cost: no interest is charged them and no money is made by Habitat. In addition, families must put in “sweat equity,” which is explained in the next question

What is sweat equity?

Sweat equity is the required time a homeowner has to work with the local Habitat affiliate as a part of payment for their home. This affiliate requires each adult to spend 200 hours working on their homes or other Habitat-related or community service projects. This work can include helping to build the house, assisting in the Habitat office, doing fundraising, helping to build the home of someone else in the community, etc.

Do you have to know how to do construction in order to volunteer with Habitat?

No! Construction teams consist of those skilled in construction and those who have never picked up a hammer before. There are also plenty of non-construction possibilities for volunteering with Habitat. Copper Country Habitat for Humanity needs all kinds of help, from fundraising to publicity to volunteer recruitment.

How does Copper Country Habitat for Humanity help build community while building houses?

Copper Country Habitat for Humanity brings together different people from the community to work for the common cause of eliminating poverty housing. By working together through all the tasks necessary for building a home, Habitat volunteers learn the richness of this community and they also learn how much the community is capable of achieving when it comes together for a common cause.

Does the money you donate go directly to Copper Country Habitat for Humanity?

If you designate “local use” with your donation, 100% of your donation will be used in the Copper Country. Otherwise, 90% of a donation is credited locally while the remaining 10% is used to support affiliates in developing countries. CCHFH tithes to help build houses in Guatemala. To date, four houses have been built with the aid of local tithing funds.

How is Copper Country Habitat for Humanity funded?

Copper Country Habitat for Humanity funds the houses it builds primarily through local fundraising. Habitat also works in partnership with government agencies and may accept government funds to obtain land or houses for rehabilitation, to prepare the building site and provide utilities, and for administrative expenses. Habitat does not accept government funds for the actual construction of homes, and any government funds it does use must not have any strings attached that would limit Habitat's ability to proclaim its Christian witness.